View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
newBgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I should ever consider flushing my power steering fluid? I have not been able to find anything about how long it is supposed to last, or a service change interval. The maintenance schedules just say to check to make sure it isn't low.

I can't imagine it lasts forever. My 986 is 16 years young, and closing in on 95k.

Thanks,
-Rick
Definately change it. The most common cause of pump failure is dirty oil, and this is a very common Boxster problem. I wish I had changed mine as soon as I got the car, might have avoided the leak that I eventually got. But as soon as I changed the fluid, it looks like the leak has slowed considerably. There was no noticable loss of fluid in the last couple weeks. The new fluid may have rejuvenated some of the seals to slow the leak. I used the Pentosin CHF 202 which is the replacement for the CHF 11S

Changing the fluid is real easy. There is a small plastic panel on the driver's (left) side of the car with 10mm bolts. Just remove the panel and you will see the high and low pressure PS lines. I just removed the return line shown here:

Just unscrew with a couple wrenches. There will be a lot of fluid so make sure to have a catch can ready. Then just turn the steering wheel side to side until all of the remaining fluid escapes. If you have the belt off, you can spin the PS pump, but I didn't bother as it looks like gravity took care of most of it. I got almost a litre out and I only had a 1 litre can so I didn't want to lose any more.

To put the line back together, pull the connector from the coupling and screw it back in (with the little wire cage), then just push the line back into the coupling.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote