Thread: Radar Detectors
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
CharlesGordon
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by p.smith78
Just a question. Do you guys think that these detectors actually perform well enough to justify the expense now that the police are using laser more and more? Just wondering whether you have any success with them in defeating laser or are they just effective against radar units?
It's really tough out there, any way you cut it. Every other morning I drive with a State Police cruiser, I guess we have the same schedule. We go with the flow of traffic, 65-70 mph in a 45 mph zone. It makes me feel better that I know if he is scanning me or not (he never is). The point of it is that you never know when your number is up. The police typically tolerate reasonable speeds regardless of what the marked speed is, but that gives them the chance to enforce the law whenever they want. (I wish we could just have a 90 mph limit and then have it strictly enforced, that would make driving a lot less stress for me)

It's just situational awareness. It alerts me to at least 75% of the outright traps and 100% of the times I am on the road with a cruiser approaching who is trolling.

Overall, I'd say it cut my risk by about 75%. I went from 1 ticket/year to none for the last year in which I've have my V1. But I still expect to get a ticket every 2-4 years now.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote