View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
911monty

Garage
TypeA I just completed this mod to my 98 base, so maybe I can offer my opinion. First in answer to your question as I did research this is yes the mufflers use the same mounts from 00 to 04, so you can use any of these years mufflers. If you are wanting a different sound then you probably need to look for an 03 to 04 S muffler. I understand the factory made some internal mods on those years. I put the 03 S muff on my 98 base and I can say the idle is deeper and louder with no drone and the weight is difference is insignificant. Now for the subjective part since I did not see a need to dyno the car pre or post but wish I had. The car power band seems to have changed. I now feel there is more low end torque and possibly a loss on the top end horsepower. I did not expect this and it may be due to the change in exhaust note, but pre swap the car wound to redline with an F1 type howl at top end and I had to concentrate on shift point to prevent over rev. Loved that hi perf sound! The first few shifts post swap I found I was shifting at around 5900 rpm. Now I have to consciously hold off on shift to get to 6500 rpm and the wonderful F1 howl is gone. If my subjective analysis of my car is correct then the muffler would have to increased the velocity of the exhaust gasses to increase torque. This is adverse to what I thought would have been increased flow and increased horsepower. I would certainly like to hear any and all thoughts from the forum on this. Flame on!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote