View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
RandallNeighbour

Here's how you spend $40k on a 1997 boxster.

1. Buy it for $15,500 in 2004
2. Replace the transmission, coolant tank, odds and ends, top parts, etc. $3500
3. Buy new seats to replace the vomit-laden ones that were like cardboard $1200
4. New Wheels to replace heavy ROH wheels $2400 with new rubber on them
5. Replace exhaust and headers $1000
6. Replace all four wheel bearings and what the heck, while we're at it swap out the tired struts for coilovers and adjustable control arms. $3800 including labor.
7. Replace the ratty steering wheel with a 3 spoke and the center console (it was broken) and the shift knob. $1000
8. Replace the headlights with Litronics, and the side markers with clear ones $1200
9. Repair a bunch of other crap that went out on the car along the way (oil filler tube, water pump, front motor mount, yada yada yada)

I could go on and on but you get the point. Half of it was mods and half was repairs. I was thankful it had a new motor in it when I bought it or that would have been replaced along the way too.

986to986, read the above carefully. You may well be in for a $hitload of repairs in the future when all the suspension bushings crack and your wheel bearings go... unless the PO paid big bucks to have all this done along the way (doubtful unless you have paperwork to prove it).

Closing thought: I didn't dump the car years ago because I cannot replace it with another Pcar I like for less than $70k right now. So why not keep it and drive it instead of going Porschless? That's my thinking anyway.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote