View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Recently, I found the top on my '04 wouldn't lower before I realized that the parking brake warning light wasn't on even though the brake was. Well, time to replace that switch.

I ended up ordering it from Brumos on Friday, and had it overnighted from Atlanta to pick up on Saturday (paid about $9.32 out the door). Got to see a Carrera GT and a 918 Spyder, but that's a different story.

Once I looked at the switch, I noticed VW/Audi logos and part number on it, 1H0 947 561 A. For kicks, I plugged that into parts.com and the price came back as $18.10 list, $10.86 sale; the Porsche part number 996 613 112 02 came back as $6.85 list, $5.18 sale.

What kind of bizzaro world is this were a part in a Porsche package costs less than the identical part in a VW/Audi package?
I'm going to guess that the average Porsche enthusiast going to the parts counter is more likely to replace his own switch than the far bigger scale of VW/Audi drivers who take their car in for service. Maybe the VW/Audi mechanic makes a little margin for himself on the part as well.
A Porsche enthusiast prints out the part number from Pelican and asks his shop why he got charged extra. LOL.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote