Thread: V8 Conversion
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #36
Bayley
Registered Abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
[SPEC] told me that the Boxster clutch normally only comes rigid, but they could make a sprung disk for me free of charge if I just paid for shipping. I guess for now I'll just bolt up the tranny without the clutch to see how everything fits together.
Good to know. I opted for the unsprung "STAGE - 3 !!!!!" clutch. I wasn't aware that they would able to spring it for me. I might have to give this some thought if the solid disc is truly unbearable. I've driven many crappy cars in my day, the bar is pretty high.

Quote:
The Renegade Hybrids kit wasn't so straight forward. All the hardware that comes with the kit is mixed in one ziplock bag. It's not that big of a deal, but it still takes a while to figure out which bolt goes where.
This * 10!

Don't get me wrong, I love what Renegade has done and I never would have thought this was even possible without their pioneering, but they could have taken the 4 weeks they were waiting for the new Kennedy parts to draft up a simple step-by-step manual. Something like this would surely prevent many otherwise preventable phone calls to the shop in Las Vegas.

Quote:
I was short a few washers, a harmonic balancer spacer, and a belt pulley.
Wait, I was supposed to get a balancer spacer? If so, chalk mine up as missing as well.

Also, did you get a belt tensioner with your kit? I have no idea how the belts are supposed to be routed or what tensioner to use.

Also, the bolts supplied for the front lateral cross member were waaay too short. IIRC, the kit came with two M12x65 bolts. There were maybe two threads protruding above the mount with these bolts. I had to use a pair of M12x80s instead. A parts list / bill of material would have been REALLY helpful through all this.

Quote:
Today I finally managed to bolt in the engine for the first time. This was a very frustrating experience, especially trying to do this on my own using a set of stands and a pallet jack.
Whenever my wife questions my justification for this early 40th b'day gift I bought for myself last month, I'll show her your comments here. An additional post about how "dangerous" and "unsafe" you felt would also help tremendously in my cause.

I love hearing updates. Keep 'em coming! Personally, I'm keeping my project on the down-low until I'm closer to completion. However, I think we are both pretty close in regards of progress at this moment. I'm sure I'll be coming to you with more questions in the near future.

-Andy
Bayley is offline   Reply With Quote