View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #18
Retroman1969

I'll reinforce that any vehicle that is over ten years old and/or has been sitting for a long time will require a fair bit of maintenance before hitting the road.
As a somewhat recent owner on the used Porsche scene, I'll try to summarize my experience for a little perspective. Some have had a horrible experience, most have had a good experience. I'd guess mine is average.

I have two '99 986s. 97,000 miles and 140,000 miles. One I've had for two years, the other for 6 months.
I took each to a reputable Porsche independent shop for a once-over. Very important on these cars to keep them up.
The first one (97,000) had been fairly well maintained, but required just under $2,000 in maintenance to be put in 100% good form. After that , it was my daily driver for a little over a year and needed nothing. (still needs nothing other than regular fluid and filter services).
The second one was much more neglected and higher miles. Had been sitting awhile. Bought as a daily driver-work car. It needed a bit over $3,000 in maintenance before hitting the road. Since then, it has been very reliable (like the first one). I drive it over 3,000 miles per month as my job requires lots of traveling. Original alternator went out, a couple of leaks were fixed, original rear control arm replaced. Otherwise has been a rock and has never stranded me. Has been through floods, blinding snowstorms, long stretches on dirt roads, highway, city, and a minor accident. Still chugging. Gets a clean bill of health at every service interval.
Will they remain ths way long-term? I can't answer that yet, but that has been my initial experience with Boxsters.
The point is, it's likely going to be a stiff initial investment since it has been sitting. After that, you could have a nice car that you enjoy for years. Just be prepared to shell out more than the average car when it does need something.

PS: In recent years, I have owned a Jeep, Land Rover, Nissan Pickup, and Ford Focus (all about the same age as the Boxsters) as work cars. Except for the Nissan, they were all less reliable than the Boxsters have been (the Rover, insanely less reliable) and not as much fun to own.

Sorry for long-winded post. I thought some detail was needed.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 05-29-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote