View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I would suggest not to replace the little "pill" looking thing inside the key. That is the transponder and that is what needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer.

Instead, I would buy a new key fob with all of the electronics (no key shank). Then swap over your key shank and the transponder pill from the old key into the new key fob and it should work without dealer reprogramming.

I have two sets of ECU/Immobilizer/transponder for my race car and I swap them around this way all of the time without dealer re-programming. I hope that this will work for you.

The remaining question is whether the reason that the remote locking doesn't work is due to the key fob buttons/electronics or some other problem that has nothing to do with the key...
Actually...

The transponder pill is matched to the immobilizer and is not replaceable. No code or programming is needed because it's a passive device. It's the electronic circuit board in the key head that needs to be programmed to the car.

If it weren't, then there would be no need for codes with new transmitters. The transponder pill does not come with the new key head and code, but must stay with the car or immobilizer that it is matched to.
Also, if the transmitters were interchangeable without a code, then anyone with a 986 key head could unlock your car.

In other words, if the code were for the transponder and not needed for the transmitter circuit board, then why would the transmitter circuit board come with the code and not the transponder?

Last edited by particlewave; 05-27-2015 at 05:12 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote