View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #15
gtoger
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Yeah, I'm a n00b. Been through the multitude of posts and pages regarding headlights and my head is spinning. Just bought a 98 986, and the headlights are beyond ugly.

As I see it, our upgrade options are as follows:

#1: Buy entire assembly with LED turn signal/DRL from Jeff @ xtreme. Lights look fantastic, quality is questionable, return policy is horrible. I was about ready to pull the trigger on these until I read some unflattering commentary about the longevity of the lights and the service after the sale.

#2: Looks like there's another seller on Ebay called "Made In Taiwan" with the exact same assembly as Jeff sells. If it's the same product, it stands to reason the same potential for failure exists. But if getting any sort of after-sale support is difficult with Xtreme, I can imagine it's worse from Taiwan.

#3: Follow the "Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)" thread and maybe build my own. NOPE! I suck at that. Or have someone build that for me? I didn't see an obvious way to place an order. But the work and end product looks really trick.

#4: Wait for Pelican to release their kit.

To be clear, I'm an average guy with fair to mediocre craftsmanship skills. I'm looking for the best way to reliably update and upgrade the lights on my old Boxster that is as plug-&-play as possible. I want to lose the "fried egg" look and go to something that looks like it's from a current-gen car.

I'm more than a bit confused on what my options are in that regard. Admittedly, this is my first foray into the world of handsome German mid-engine roadsters. Can someone help me out?
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote