View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Made you jealous?! Well You and I both lolll

That my friend is the grand daddy of the GTProjectors. This is where the idea of getting a cool retrofit kit for my 986 all started in all honesty. I remember seeing this pic 3~4 years ago and went completely bunker about it. I am actually so grateful to this guy for the paint idea. Absolutely brilliant chap.

I also remember having those eBay/Taiwan made LED headlights in my Wish List near-ready to pay for etc etc. Am I glad to not have got those after reading more about them over the years. Nonetheless they were pretty cool looking headlights - admit!

Rewinding a few years (5+years ago?) I was the very first to crack open those 986 headlights (in fact Madmod was, not me lollll). Although a pretty similar dude if one can remember. I actually did that retrofit with eBay style 'plastic' bezels and not even 2 years later, the sun UV chewed those bezels down to the bare PE composite they were originally molded with. The chrome was flaking on the other and can't remember what else - they had to be pulled out after less than 24 months - how annoying. Heard of many others who had similar issues and still today, I keep seeing them in parking lots here in Shanghai on Jap cars looking sad and flaking their chrome coating/paint like crazy.

^ this not-so-intelligent idea + the grand daddy black interior SUPERCAR style painting idea, and bang, GTProjectors 'package' came to life. Had to come up with a durable bezel that wouldn't melt under the hot Shanghai sun.

Can't say the GTP are the best in the world, you should see today's new automakers headlights, but in regard to lighting system performance, they unfortunately surpass those of the Litronic. It is pointless to carry out a lumen test... you can see the difference just by parking two Porsche cars side-by-side and lighting them up - can't count how many times this have happened here in Shanghai while outing with the other Pcar boyz. Also doing a lumen test could offend a few who've purchase those $2~3k lighting system so I've never had the balls to do it. Also the Litronics are single beam (low) and the lens is sort of frosty.... i.e primitive 1990 tech so it wouldn't be a fair compare to Porsche.

Those GTP are bi-xenon also (both low & high in one projector) so this alone kills the Litties on that aspect by a few miles. Again, an unfair comparison to make :/ Modern-vs-1990 style.

You also have the aesthetic side of the GTPs. Its not because they were made by myself that I say that but, please agree, they dramatically change the appearance of the 986 and 996s. Some likes them, others don't, but a solid 9 on 10 will say that it is a 'dramatic' improvement visually. They really shave out 10 years off the car. I can't count how many times someone pointed at my headlights and said "wah man this is sick".

Whether these GTP are lit up, or simply dead on a parked Porsche car. You get the wow effect straight away.

So with all that %^*&$ said. I recommend you to stay with the old style halogen PL

Hope it helped you made up your decision brother (enjoy the weekend!)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-23-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote