Thread: First track day
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #27
Laflamme02

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Lafamme02: PCA track weekends here are $300 for the event registration. Add to that a half a set of brake pads for newbies and 1/4 set of tire tread shot if you're a hot dog around the corners. You'll also get a whopping 7 mpg so toss in a tank of fuel every day of driving. Add two night's motels in there. And then there's the needed oil change after the event because you've heated it up real good and often.

So when I sign up for a PCA high speed DE weekend (Sat and Sunday driving, 4 - 30 minute sessions per day) I save up a grand. You may not spend this much on your first one, but it includes the wear and tear on the brake pads/discs and tires and the oil change afterwards.
That's what I was afraid of...I was hoping to get lucky and be able to do a track day for a couple hundred, everything included. Obviously, that was naive.

I wonder if it would be worth it for local law enforcement to subsidize track days. Maybe if you provide an outlet for driving fast on a track drivers will be less apt to "track" open roads. That will never happen but I'm reminded of a police barracks in Las Vegas I think, that routinely drag races a car built by the cops (built with personal, not tax, dollars) to give the kids in the area an outlet for safe competition.