Thread: First track day
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
husker boxster

Agree with Randle about costs.

My local track raised their price this yr to $300 for a 2 day event. I spent $550 for a 2 day DE at Laguna Seca last yr. I just spent $775 for a 3 day DE at COTA. It depends on the popularity of the track and what the mkt will bear when it comes to cost.

Insurance: it depends on your particular company. I have State Farm and supposedly they will fix your car if you wreck it at a DE but will then cancel you. Other companies won't fix your car at all. There's a company named Locton that does DE ins and I add that to the cost of my DE weekends. You can buy ins per event and the premium is based on the value of your car and the deductible you choose. I value my CSS at $38K and choose a 10% deductible, so my premium is generally around $250. One thing to know about the deductible: they take the full deductible off the top before they start paying. So to keep things simple, if my car is worth $40K and I choose the 10% deductible and I incur $5K of damage, I will pay $4K of it and Locton the other $1K. It's NOT me paying $500 (10% of the damage) and Locton pays the other $4500. You pay first.

Do you need track ins? As Dirty Harry says, "do you feel lucky, punk?" You can be tooling along minding your own business when someone dumps oil all over the track, which you subsequently spin in. I'm starting my 4th season of DEing and I've seen 3 cars wrecked, one very badly. And the value of your car comes into play too. Maybe you can afford to write off your $12K Boxster so you don't "need" ins. You roll the dice and takes your chances.

Tech inspections: It can be a crap shoot. I've been thru some who took your tech sheet and didn't bother to spend a minute looking at your car. I've had others that looked at brake pads, rotors, brake lights, etc. NASA runs a pretty tight tech inspection, which I think is good. I never understand ppl who show up to a multi-day DE, get thru tech and after the 1st run their tires are chorded or their pads are shot (and not from driving hard in that 1st session). They didn't come prepared. So now they're scrambling to get repairs done before they lose valuable time on the track or they're packing up to leave. Why? Have your car properly prepped and you won't have any problems getting thru tech. Maybe techs are lax because they figure you should come prepared and if you don't, it's at your expense. IDK

And for those of you who have never done a DE before, you don't have to drive like a bat outa hell. I generally drive about 8/10s and I get plenty of enjoyment from that pace. I keep an eye on my mirrors and let the track rats by as quickly as I can. I hate catching someone and then they feel the obligatory need to 'race' you before they let you by. I'm sure the track rats hate that too, so I'm not going to hold them up. But I run 8/10s because at the end of the day I have to drive my car home and to work the next day. But that's OK. You're not driving for a trophy or prize money. It's for enjoyment. And lots of it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote