Thread: First track day
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
RandallNeighbour

Lafamme02: PCA track weekends here are $300 for the event registration. Add to that a half a set of brake pads for newbies and 1/4 set of tire tread shot if you're a hot dog around the corners. You'll also get a whopping 7 mpg so toss in a tank of fuel every day of driving. Add two night's motels in there. And then there's the needed oil change after the event because you've heated it up real good and often.

So when I sign up for a PCA high speed DE weekend (Sat and Sunday driving, 4 - 30 minute sessions per day) I save up a grand. You may not spend this much on your first one, but it includes the wear and tear on the brake pads/discs and tires and the oil change afterwards.

Let me also say that a lot of tracks have open track days and you're out there with all kinds of drivers (skilled and unskilled) and all kinds of cars. Be careful on these days because I have seen some wild-ass driving. Last time, I was on the track with two McClarens and they chased each other around that track aggressively until one spun out in a tight turn and the other one broadsided him before he could get out of the way. Both gorgeous cars when home on flatbeds. I thought I was going to cry but choked back the tears.

That accident shut the whole track down for 2 hours and killed the entire rest of the day for all of us. Just goes to show having money and having driving skills and brains don't always go together.

The PCA events are very different. Lots of instruction, rules, regulations, run groups, and lots and lots of needed education about physics, finding the line, learning when to brake, etc. Highly recommended that every Pcar owner go at least once to see what their car can do and how much they have to learn about driving.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote