View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
black_falcon

Far as I know, my 99 is still running the original water pump @ 97k. Sounds like I should probably replace it to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
99 is better in some ways, like the fact that it has a dual row bearing, (and some 2000's and 2001's -- but nearly impossible to determine unless the owner had the bearing replaced at least once). But some 2.5 engines had special issues of its own that needed to be addressed under warranty (porosity requiring sleeving). If you buy a 2000-2004 Boxster and its IMS has not been upgraded, then that should be the first thing you do before you even put the key in, replace the water pump too if its still the original one. The IMS just a known weak spot with a simple fix that doesn't require taking the engine out or taking it apart, just dropping the transmission, extracting the old IMS and putting in a new one. One day at the shop and you don't need to worry (if it passes the clean oil inspection first). The waterpump should just be treated like airline part, it comes out every five years or so just to be safe. if the blades break from being old and get into the engine, you're going to have some unnecessary work to do. And it's just a very critical component to keep the engine living.
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote