View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
DMage

Buying a Boxster - Priorities in the hunt

Hi all -

Been browsing the forums for a while and have been looking for a Boxster for equally as long. Had an NA '95 Miata for a few years, followed by a MR2 Spyder that I engine swapped with a 2zz good for 200 hp. Had a blast in that car for 3 years then had two kids - so the two seaters (the MR2 and a DeLorean) had to go in exchange for a four seater and a toy the family could enjoy (boat). Well I am a roadster guy at heart, so back to searching for a nice drop top two seater.

Settled so far on a Boxster, and really trying to narrow down from there. Have a budget in mind in the teens, so really looking for the best car I can get in that range. So far the 'need' list is an S, 01+, with HID. 'Prefer' list would be all leather, sport rims. 'Nice' list would be a 03+ with the glass rear window. Not against a 05+ either, but on the upper end of my budget from what I've seen. Something I am neglecting here? Have a feeling TC or PSM are going to be the heavy comments.

Well aware of the IMS problems, RMS problems, cylinder wall issue, etc. Already proactively have a IMS toolkit, durametric, etc that I found locally. Plan on doing my own work and replacing parts as needed. I know many folks recommend a PPI, and I am not against it if I am buying sight unseen, but if I can see the car in person (close enough to transact locally), I feel I could do as good of a job from past mechanical experience (rebuilding a DeLorean frame off, engine rebuild/swap, etc) and have the tools to check the needed items.

Really looking for advice on what to look for from a seller, and if I am crazy with my stipulation list which has now grown. In my search I've found the 1-2 owner cars are in the best condition. Also, that the better documented a car is, the better general overall condition its in. So, am I crazy if I find a high mileage car thats well documented and a 2 owner car, and pick it over a 4-5 owner car that has 30k miles with zero paperwork? Have a feeling that my gut is right here, but looking for opinions. If you were between two, high mileage (even 130k+) well documented, vs low mileage no documentation (even a dealer car), what would you choose? Also, from my search I've tended to find that cars with a pristine soft touch coating on the door sill/center console/stereo area tend to be the ones that are extremely well taken care of, so that in pictures of listings seems to be my tell tale sign of abuse.

Thanks for the feedback, all appreciated!
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote