Thread: Car trouble
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
heliguy

Car trouble

Hello everyone...it's been a while since I have been in this forum because of some bad news with my '03 Boxster S and I just wanted to catch everyone up.

Last August I was happily driving along when my car, with 105,000 miles started blowing an enormous amount of smoke out of both tailpipes. As I began to pull over it started running roughly and lots of warning lights came on. I pulled over and that's when bystanders started yelling "you're on fire!" I ran around to check and saw that the small fire was luckily just burning inside the right tailpipe, however it scorched the paint on the bumper before I could smother it out. I had the car towed to my local mechanic who specializes in only European cars, focusing on Porsche of every year and model. Lots of Boxsters, 993 turbos, earlier air-cooled even a 997 turbo was there.

Mark did an initial assessment and determined that the fire was likely caused by an excess of oil in the exhaust system and ignited by the muffler heat. A faulty AOS was the likely cause to for the excess oil in the cylinders.

The car has been sitting for so long because I'm not home a lot, have another car to drive and Mark had other projects to work on. I told him not to rush on tearing down he engine because I knew it was gonna cost me lots of $$$!

Well, this week he had a chance to to a teardown and the results are not good...
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote