View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
thom4782

This is great, timely information because I was just about to post the question below to the forum.

I have an 01S with 125K on the odometer. Two years ago or about 10K, the water pump was replaced and a low temperature thermostat was added. Normally in the SF Bay area afternoons, the gauge sits rock steady at the 1 in the 180 mark. Two days ago with the outside temperature about 20 degrees above normal and the air conditioning on, the gauge rose to the 0 mark in commute traffic. When back up to highway speed, the gauge dropped back to the 1 mark.

Because I hadn’t seen this type of rise before except when broken ballast resistors kept the fans from running at low speed. The Durametric test showed the low speed fans work properly. So I checked for coolant level and noticed it was about 12 ounces below Max when cold. I’m wondering now where the coolant may have gone.

I’ve checked externally and see no evidence of leaks. I’ve pulled the trunk carpet and there isn’t any coolant there. I’ve pulled the cover above the tank and there isn’t any coolant there either. The two guess left are: 1) cracked head or 2) a leaking heater core.

If it were a cracked head, I’d expect to see intermix in the water tank or the oil sump. There is no evidence of either. I’ve got the car scheduled for a pressure test the week after next. Meanwhile, I'll check to see if the coolant drops more since I topped it off and for evidence of intermix.

In the meantime, can you suggest other places to look or other possible causes for the coolant level dropping?

Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote