View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
jb92563

I have done some iRacing for a while and even with a lowly 21" monitor on my regular XP generation PC its remarkably accurate and actually difficult to keep up with the experienced racers.

Actually the trick is not to follow and keep up with others but to run at your own pace, which will soon enough get you going faster as you learn a course and check your lap times.
To keep the crashing down you are heavily penalized for hitting another car, but there is a practice mode you can run where crashes don't count against you, and you will have your share of spinouts, crashes etc as you learn.

Its quite challenging which will make it a SIM that you will keep on trying to improve on, rather than just game.

The Only thing I would change to my setup is to make the center monitor a bit bigger, say 25" and add two side monitors as well so all your peripheral vision is also filled like a regular car.

You certainly don't need to spend $3k on all that. You could probabley get all of that including PC upgrade, extra dual head video card and the wheel/pedals for under $1500.

The rig to host the whole setup is not something I'd spend too much money on as you could position your stuff fine in a Den or garage, or perhaps a dedicated shed
from Home Depot.

No pictures since mine is a simple setup at this point.

I got into it to help decide if I wanted to ever do wheel to wheel racing. The game is scary enough, I can't imagine the real thing, perhaps I need more desensitizing on the game still.

Have to disagree with Jake on cost. iRacing was $49 for the 1st year and a bit more for the following years ~$75?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-30-2015 at 11:47 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote