View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #19
soxfan1966

Problem Hooking up Courtesy Lights

Hi All...

Received my Courtesy Lights including a length of wire for each and the bulb clip. I ended up having some time this afternoon so though I would give it a whirl. I "hoped" that I could simply loosen the door panel, pull the bottom off (the clips) after taking out the screws (going by the directions is the "101 Projects For Your Boxster" book).

Got the door panel loosened, pulled the bottom clips out and then started looking for the wire I hoped would be inside the door (I was really hoping I would see the wire and clip inside the door, simply plug the bulb in and then attach the courtesy light housing and voila. Unfortunately I did not see the wire inside the door. The one I got from Woody here on this site has a red wire with a black stripe and a yellow wire with a brown stripe (Woody was nice enough to send the housing, clip, bulb and about a foot of wire for each side).

I hesitated taking the whole door panel off for 2 reasons - one I did not have a ton of time to get into a position where I had to put something back together again and two I was afraid of setting off the side curtain air bag (on a side note, should I disconnect the battery when taking the door panel off?)

I poked around inside the door panel as best I could with a flashlight, looking behind the foam cover. I did not see any wire that looked like the one I have and was looking to attach. It may be possible that if I pull the whole door panel off the wire could be taped up high inside the door where I could not see it but I am reluctant to think that.

So I am wondering if someone may have an idea of where that wire originates from and where I may be able to trace it to, hopefully verifying that it is inside the door. Perhaps the previous owner cut the wire / clip off and the wire is higher up in the door (where I can connect to the wire I do have), or worst case the wire does not run into the door at all...

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote