View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
Luv2Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I should have been clear on that part. Yes, it's a keeper. I love this car, I will own this car until I die.
I felt the same way when I bought my '99 with 74K miles. After driving, racing and Axing it for 10K miles I had the LN bearing installed at 84K. The Tip transmission was pulled without the motor and the IMS, RMS replacement was done with motor in car. That was three years ago and my '99 has the same mileage as your Boxster. I looked at the stats, back then, and decided that the ceramic bearing, with a 5:1 ratio of longevity to the OEM, was the way to go and get more miles out of the OEM motor. Three years ago the entire job, with LN bearing, was $1,800. If I was looking at $4K, in todays money, to have it done my thinking would change. I would drive it until failure and look at a low mileage 2.7L Metzgar motor which can now be picked up for around $2,500 and with around $2,000 to install it I've got a little more power and a more bullet proof motor than the 2.5L which, as has been stated, had very low failure rate.
As it turns out, at 68 years of age, it looks as though my Boxster will be my last car and that's ok with me as it has been the most fun car I've ever owned.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote