View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #17
hideehoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
The bank with 6.5 degrees is the unit that has emitted the pieces of debris.. You have about 2.25 degrees more before it sets a CEL for being out of range. The 6.5* is already costing gas mileage, adding to the rough running index and adding fuel trim.

The servo units are not serviceable and thats why no one else has found the source of the debris, because they have not cut the units open. As a researcher, doing the things that no one else does and finding the things that no one else has found is my job.

If a unit fails, just replace it.

BTW- a failed servo for the VVT arrangement is mode of failure #5 of the 27 documented modes of failure for the M96 engine.
Jake, when you say servo as you referring to the electric solenoid (~$200) or the hydraulic tensioner unit (~$1000) it operates against? Seems like the solenoid is a fairly common failure.

Just pulled my '00S with ~90K out of storage and noticed uneven power delivery in the 3K rev range, some green particles in the oil filter (which is a first), and it just started to throw a 1341 code.

Ordered a Durametric kit to get a little more info before I tear in, but I'm assuming it's either the solenoid and/or actuator going bad. I'll rule out electrical first also, but the particles in the oil filter can't be a coincidence.

Thanks
hideehoo is offline   Reply With Quote