Thread: Skip the IMS??
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
Dlirium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post
True the numbers are not static. But the information comes directly from the manufacture of the solution. IMS 101

I don't know the values through out the country, I am speaking of my car. 97, 78000miles. New to me. Value 11,000$(CDN). this car is mint with everything working appropriately. Now, average replacement cost is 1500-2000 up here in Canada.

So spend 20% the value of the car on item that is advertised at a 1% failure rate. Even if the failure rate increased 10 fold. The question is spend 20% value of the car for an item that has over a 90% success rate.

Yes I know its only matter of time before the item fails. But, that statement can be made for every single item on that car. We just focus on the IMS.
I think there are some things to clarify in this post -

1) I would be SHOCKED if a '97 could fetch anything north of $8k USD, but perhaps that is neither here nor there

2) $1500 - $2000: Isn't that a price if the trany is still IN the car? It is quite a bit cheaper if it is out, no?

3) If your IMS fails, the value of your car goes to just about $0. By putting in an IMS, for 20% of the value of the car, you ensure you can keep it a $11k (or whatever the correct price is). That is what we mean by insurance...

We all sort of have a big revolver with one bullet that we are spinning...at some point it will go boom.

Last edited by Dlirium; 03-30-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling error
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote