View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #168
BoxsterLS376

Cooling and exhaust~ Suggestions??

Good morning everyone,

Just figured I would chime in with a quick update. Nothing really exciting as I'm waiting on a few parts to show up and need to get some more stuff ordered but exciting things are in the works

I really dug into the cooling system this week and I did want to mention that I have decided that the entire cooling system needed a refresh. After cracking it open that was a great decision as this motor had cracked a cylinder head and mixed oil into the cooling system pretty badly.

The heater core, and all 3 radiators were filled with goo of the nastiest kind so ALL rubber hoses are being replaced with fresh ones, heater core has been replaced and for the radiators I am going with the CSF all aluminum units. They aren't cheap but it is definitely the way to go if you have had oil in your cooling system. You could waste money trying to clean them, but in the end you still have a 15 year old radiator and after looking at them, they were just about done anyway so it is the right call.

Once I get all the stock stuff replaced i'll dive into fabricating the rest of the system. Since it looks like I may be in this V8 swap thing for the long haul I am getting a pipe bender so that I can make as much out of aluminum pipe as possible. It the end it is much cheaper then ordering a bunch of bent pieces, plus I can hopefully make them exactly how I want. Ordering some 1.25" and 1.5" aluminum straight pipe to make it with.

***EXHAUST***

*EDITED* Measure twice, buy once. Don't trust everything you read on the internets~

My plan at this point is to work from the headers back - 2.5" stainless steel flanges with a 2.5" to 3"expansion pipe, a few bends, then a set of magnaflow catalytic converters, magnaflow mufflers then making a custom tip from with the 3" stainless.

I'm going to try and have everything ordered by this evening so I can have it by next weekend so chime on in!

Thanks!
J

Last edited by BoxsterLS376; 03-15-2015 at 09:37 AM.
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote