View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #42
DG Boxster

I just finished the rear speaker install on my 98 986. I also changed the radio from the CDR-210 to the CDR-220 as well as the front speakers.

I used Polk DB-351s in the back (1 each side) and DB-401s in the front.

Nothing remarkable to report about the install except a few details.

I made speaker mounts out of 1/8" plywood from the hobby store, cut out with a dremel tool.

I made the grills from decorative aluminum sheet I found at Hobby Lobby. I trimmed it to fit, painted them black (along with the plywood). I held it all together with black E6000 glue. It came out great.

The hardest part was running the wires, along the ride side per the 101 projects book.

I did find the correct connector pins to go into the existing brown connector that plugs into the radio. Search for "ES#470511" on ECS tuning. They are only $0.99 each. By the way, ES#470510 is the same pin, but for smaller wire .

The pins are easy to crimp with a "Molex Open Barrelled Pin Crimper" like this.

Just wanted to put the part numbers out there for someone else.

BTW - the system sounds 1000% better than the stock paper speakers and CDR-210. I was going to do door speakers and an amp but I think this is good enough for me. I love the look of the CDR-220. Very retro Porsche. I like watching it light up "Porsche" when it turns on.
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote