View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #17
mountainman

Garage
People that can not do a good deal of their own maintenance should not be buying high milage Porsches. The dealers and even many indies are so ridiculous with their repair prices and finding new prices and blowing their importance all out of perspective that they scare them to death. I doubt that any one of us has a car with 50,000 miles on it that a dealer couldn't find 4 to 5 thousand dollars worth of repairs that they deem needed. Most of which can be prioritized over time. I certainly could not own 3 Porsches and put 40,000 miles a year on them if I had to pay a dealer to maintain them.
I also agree that selling to a friend is not a great idea. I sold an 04 boxster S with 18 thousand miles on it to my neighbor over 4 years ago after I let him drive it and he fell in love with it and he still comes back to me for all his maintenance and oil changes after he has put over 40 thousand miles on it. I really do not mind doing it at all as we travel and socialize with them regularly. In 4 years he has only had to go to an indie once for a fuel system valve problem (something over $500) when I was out of town. I can see very soon that there is going to be a good bit more that he will need and he has no mechanical skills. Not sure where it will go then.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote