View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
2K-986-S

TDC setting question.

New member here. I recently inherited / purchased a 2000 Boxster S. It is a low mileage car and I have decided to take the proactive route and do the IMS bearing myself. Having built a 180MPM kit airplane (RV-8) and flew it for several years I know how important it is to read and re-read instructions over and over again before starting any work, which is what I have been doing regarding the IMSB retrofit.

Which brings me to my question: I am at the point right now trying to understand the correct method of setting the engine to TDC compression stroke on Bank 1. All seems pretty straight forward with aligning the crack pulley notch with the TDC indicator on the block, and using the cam locking tool to lock the Bank 1 exhaust cam vertical with the seam in the block ( Mine is the 5 chain system). What isn't clears is once those two tasks have been done. should the intake cam notch on bank 1 located on the flywheel side be facing outward or inward to be correctly set at TDC on the compression stroke?

I have come across two postings: one states that the intake notch should be facing inward and the other states it should be facing outward. I am not sure which one is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW GREAT forum!!!.

Posting #1

Posting#2

2K-986-S is offline   Reply With Quote