View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post

1.For those of you that have switched to AGM batteries have you been happy with the performance of the battery ? Other than price any negatives ?
I've got 3 of them, a blue top marine battery, and two red tops, one for my Toyota FJ Cruiser and one for the Boxster. I haven't installed the Boxster one yet but the one in the Toyota has been great and has been giving me no trouble at all. It is a little shorter in height, and some of them come with a height adapter that sits on top when you buy the battery and it snaps on the bottom if a height adapter is needed. I didn't get one on my Toyota battery and I think the auto parts store may have thrown it away. If you need a height adapter make sure you get it.

For the Boxster you will need an adapter to help hold it down, I got mine from here:

Yellow Dog Motorsports | Corvette, Porsche and Alfa Romeo Parts | GMP-52

Some folks have made their own, you can do a search.

How I ended up with 3 was that Amazon accidentally sent me the blue top instead of the one I ordered for my FJ. They couldn't take a return because it is considered "hazardous" so they refunded my money and told me to dispose of the battery any way I saw fit. So I am using in to power a trolling motor in my canoe. I would have used it in the Toyota but it was a different size and would not fit.

Quote:

2.I have used Optima brand batteries in the past and had good luck with red top but horrible luck with yellow top. And if you believe the internet since Optima moved off shore for manufacturing they are not the battery they once were. Anyone using Optima batteries manufactured in the past year or two happy with them ?
Mine are all made within the last year and have been doing well, with the caveat that the only one that has seen any real use is the one in the Toyota. The Red top for the Boxster is not even installed but I put the maintainer on it every couple weeks and it seems to be doing well (I thought my main battery in the Boxster was toast but it turns out it was not even though it is kind of old so I just haven't gotten around to switching it out yet)

Quote:
3.I want to purchase a maintainer with desulfication mode that hooks up via the cigarette lighter, are CTEK and Battery Tender still the go to brands ? I want to go this route because with my current charger I have to pull the frunk light as it stays on even with the hood in the down position but not latched closed.
I've got this one which has a mode for AGM batteries and also a desulf step.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G14FK8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery Chargers - CTEK Battery Chargers Multi US 4.3

I can't recall if it had a cigarette adapter, I know it had a second plug but that may be for mounting a charging adapter onto the car permanently and then hooking the adapter to that. Here is the accessory for the cigarette adapter though.

Accessories - CTEK Battery Chargers

Note that the default Porsche cigarette adapter is slightly larger than a standard US cigarette adapter, if you have ever noticed chargers and things being slightly loose this is the reason why. I believe you can by a replacement for around $25 that is US sized.

Last edited by steved0x; 02-27-2015 at 05:04 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote