View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #21
Gelbster

The 72/50 issue has been covered in previous posts years ago ,usually they mention BMW also.The poster was Harn I think on the 'other' P-car Forum.
The unknown is what subsequent running changes to dimensions/tolerances/specs were made .The critical issue imho is - are the latest/interchange parts less likely to jam the tappet hard into the bucket ?Forget the Porsche numbers.Porsche do not make the part.INA do. INA do not need to change part numbers if they make minor(?) running changes to the part.Except for the hammered/jammed issue ,my tappets were mostly perfect after 90k miles.Pity not to use them but if they got jammed soon after reuse ,that would be stupid.At $40== x 24,I might have tried it. At $8x24 ,it was .....
The part I found via INA and bought as a BMW item(now revised to Porsche also) on Rock Auto is totally unproven in terms of long term functionality in the M96. Yes, it is dimensionally perfect but there may be more to this issue than simple physical dimensions. According to Rock Auto I was the first customer to buy this part via them for this unlisted application. Neither Rock Auto nor their vendor in England would commit in writing an assurance the lifter would work correctly in the M96. I guess they have gotten a little bolder recently and added the M96 to that application listing.
Yes, the savings are huge which was why I was so puzzled that my original research got no interest. $8 vs $40++ x 24 = significant to me.
If is requires replacement with the $40++ item soon ,it will be a very expensive failure. Beware!
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote