View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Smallblock454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbox View Post
Got transmission oil changed on my recently purchased '02 Boxster. After the oil change, the second gear shift is really hard in the mornings or if the car has been sitting for a long time. Once the car gets going, it is fine. I just avoid switching to 2nd for a few miles, go from 1 to 3.

My mechanic drove it (of course, after it had warmed up) and found no trouble shifting up and down. He suspects a bad/worn synchro but didn't really recommend fixing anything yet.

I thought about oil viscosity etc but if the oil wasn't right, it should affect all gears, right?
Had the same problem. Used an transmission oil that was 75W-90 with API 5. Exact the same problem with 2nd gear directly after the oil change.

Now i will change back to the OEM oil, which is really hard to get over here in germany, because it is only sold in 200 litres barrels. The OEM oil is Shell Spirax S5 75W-90 ATE with an API GL4, GL5 and M1 specification. Have the oil, but the car is only registered from april to october. So i have to wait until april to get results.

Specification: http://www.smithandallan.com/documents/Spirax_S5_ATE_75W-90_%28en-GB%29_TDS.pdf

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-24-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote