View Single Post
Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
jeepdad

Garage
10 early observations about my first Boxster.

Some early impressions:

1. It's fun. I can't drive it enough. Even when I shouldn't, like today, with another ice drizzle in the forecast, I drove it to work. I find myself making excuses to park the car, run into a gas station for a soda/snack, just so I can stare at the car on my way in and out. That's probably weird.

2. My morning routine now consists of opening up the garage door and doing a walk-around. I envision would my Porsche might look like with Lobster Fork rims and LED headlights (although the 17" turbo twists are starting to grow on me now that I've installed 15/7mm spacers). For the first time in years, I truly enjoy waxing/polishing/detailing a car.

3. I need to upgrade the dash speakers badly and purchase a USB cable.

4. The car is not fast, necessarily, but quick. In a straight line my 2010 Maxima could probably outperform it. But climbing into the Maxima is boring now, almost a chore. I find my foot searching for a non-existent clutch.

5. I love the way this car sounds. Not ricey, and not like my old 67 Mustang, but like a throaty European exotic car should sound. Exit ramps are no longer a menial task as I take third gear into high RPMs. (I spent an hour trying to do the Crios exhaust mod was never able to get the bit started. I have not given up yet).

6. With the top down in the sun, I discovered that my interior is actually Metropol blue, or maybe some other shade of dark/navy blue. I thought it was black.

7. I suddenly see more Boxsters on the road now, when before there didn't seem to be any.

8. Women like this car. Guys will give it sideways glances, try to be cool about it, but women are more obvious about it. As a single guy, I like that.

9. At least in mis-Missouri, the average person has the impression that this is an expensive car. When I tell them it's 15 years old they are shocked. Most ask, "What kind of car is that?"

10. I have quit worrying about the IMS issue. Through some helpful comments here and more research, I've convinced myself to just drive and enjoy. I am thankful it's a double row bearing which (knock-on-wood) seems to be a good thing. Drive and enjoy.