View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Perfectlap

Here in NJ we've pretty much gotten rid o f vehicle inspections. It's just way too many cars for the state bureaucracy to manage efficiently anymore. We're probably the most densely populated state in the country. Once every two years you have to take the car in for emissions test and they visually inspect to see if your exhaust is up to regulation. No checking for bald tires, functioning brakes, brake lights, headlights, etc.
Approximately 25 other states have ditched their old inspections as well. The police in these parts no longer hassle people for having an out of date inspection sticker. Maybe if you get a parking ticket and the ticket officer notices it's expired.

However this state is absolutely militant on unpaid parking tickets. If you fail to pay a single parking ticket within 90 days the town automatically sends your license plate to the motor vehicle commission for immediate suspension of driving privileges. You then have to pay the DMV $100 to re-instate the license, as well as original ticket which will probably have swelled to five times the original $20-$30. And since the state does not send the notices via registered mail, often the motorist is unaware that they were suspended over even a single parking ticket and during a routine traffic stop the police will impound the vehicle and require a costly court appearance. Ask me how I learned this. When I was paying to have my license re-instated the clerk told me that parking tickets are not the only non-driving offense that you can lose your license over, they are also suspending licenses for riding bicycles the wrong way on a one-way street, and fishing without a fishing license. A police detective I spoke to (now a lawyer) says he's astounded at the number of suspensions that he sees where driving records were otherwise spotless. It's a huge revenue maker for the state. Vehicle inspections were a huge revenue loser.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-18-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote