View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Manny986

Garage
1998 Boxster Secondary Air Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Same two codes I've got with a CEL. I had it diagnosed and it is the main on/off valve that has failed. Problem is it fails in the on position so it continues to put ambient air into the manifolds so the cats heat up quickly on cold start, so it still complies with emissions but it burns out the other two diaphragms in the system because it allows hot air to blow back through the system. You're looking at about $800 for a shop to replace all three switches and the vacuum tank in the system (replace this as it is cheap and gets brittle and cracks over time). If you do it you can buy all three parts for around $200 and a few bucks more for hoses. Pelican Parts has a good diagram of the secondary air system and also has the parts at a good price. It is common in the early Boxsters for this system to fail but not common for the air pump to fail so check it thoroughly as the pump alone is around $1,200. I've been driving for almost a year with my system not working as it will not damage the car but it will not pass smog test if you have to have one. I swear, but can't prove, my Boxster runs better with the system not working as intended.
I am damn sure that the Sec. Pump did never work since I bought this car 13 months ago and the engine has been running strong and great. I don't like the CEL showing up all the time so I will try to solve this issue in the cheapest possible way just to have that light off.

I most say that it's been quite useful to join this forum, should had done it long ago. Will keep posting on it and definitely will write again about any action taken to solve this Sec. Air Pump issue.

I sincerely want to thank you and the other member who gave me the clue to determine that the pump was not working as I though.
Manny986 is offline   Reply With Quote