View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
eacallo986

Garage
Thumbs up Hello and Thank you!

Hello,

Just join the forum and wanted to say thank you to all for the great information. So valuable!

I too have a 2001 Boxster S that I bought in Feb 2013. It had 57,000k when i bought it from the original owner. It now has just over 80,000 miles and I have been enjoying this car ever since. I too was shocked to learn about the IMS problems with these cars shortly after making the purchase. Fortunately, I have not had a problem with mine so far. However, I have replaced the water pump, thermostat/housing and drive belt about a year ago. I've been doing all the simple maintenance on the car that I'm able to do now that I have the time.

I've been looking into the Class Action Lawsuit and recent settlement about the IMS and also curious to know if I could or would qualify for compensation if I ever have a IMS failure. Found out a couple of things;

1) to qualify your car must be less than ten years old and have less than 130,000 miles.

2) Surprisingly, found that the IMS installed in my car was not covered although it is a 2001 Boxster S. My car was assembled in July of 2000 in Finland and for reasons unknown is not included. Don't know if this is a positive for me at this point since my Boxster is 14 years old now and would not be covered anyway. I'm still researching some of the reasons why and trying to find reason of this. If anyone out there has any information, comments on reason why I would appreciate it.

You may already know of the Lawsuit and settlement but, if you don't and would like more info these are the links:

IMS Porsche Settlement Class Action Lawsuit Information Center | IMS Porsche Settlement
Settlement Information

The website list all the VIN #s that apply in this Lawsuit in case anyone wants to know.

I'm about to change the fuel filter, spark plugs and CV boots (a very common problem on these cars) which is going to be a real challenge for me but must be done. I'm looking at possibly replacing both drive shaft and entire assembly. I strongly recommend that you inspect the CV boots on your car.

I really enjoy and love driving my "01 Boxster S. However, to be completely honest, if I new about the IMS problems before, I don't think I would have bought the car. Or, if I was well informed as I am now, I would have negotiated the cost of installing the IMS LN Retrofit.

I would truly appreciate any feedback or advice on any of the repair work that I mentioned above that I will be doing or will be required to do in the future.

Thanks,

Ed
eacallo986 is offline   Reply With Quote