View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Giller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
I think the full horror of the running costs of hybrid and battery powered vehicles is yet to surface because they're all so new.

I'm sure most people have experienced how pathetic the battery life gets on their mobile phone after a couple of years. Who's going to enjoy the cost taking their car in for it's 60K battery replacement service?

I wouldn't touch any of these cars, and I can only imagine how unpopular they'll be as second hand buys once they get a few years old and make their way down the food chain.
Who knows what the future holds when it comes to R/D. What you are scared of now, people where scared of way back when when it came to what we have today. TImes change, technology improves, many parts become dramatically cheaper (heck, look at big screen tvs). The Prius has been out for some time and it sells quite well in resale. Batteries are expensive....but will quickly drop in price as technology and more demand (and therefore, a most likely drop in production costs) continue. When you can save a thousand or two in gas over the course of a year.....the batteries ain't so expensive anymore.