View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

There are mainly 2 issues. The first is that they'll wear REALLY quickly as Winter Tires are made from much softer compounds to remain flexible at sub-freezing temps. Depending upon how you drive, you may only get half a summer out of them, especially if they're already used.

The second issue is Heat. These Tires are not made to manage (read Dissipate) Heat like a Performance Tire is. If using them to Rock & Roll, or on a long Expressway run in Hot weather, you run a fairly high risk of having a Heat related Blowout. It will help to slightly overinflate them, by say 1-2PSI, but of course this will accelerate the wear as well.

All this said, these are risks which you may in fact not realize. If it were me, I'd run them until the pain of purchasing the Wheels wanes and then either transplant my other Tires to the new Wheels (if applicable) or bite the bullet and spring for a new set. Don't forget, running on insufficient, or improper, Tires can also affect everyone else around you! Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote