View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #366
Nine8Six

Product evolution

^ Niceee, I like. Thanks for sharing Martin!

Some of the latest development worth sharing with you guys:

Spoke to my pmma supplier this morning about maintenance, polishing techniques, recommended creams etc. I've also mentioned that some of my customers, who are new to pmma acrylic, aren't necessarily "pro" polishers. Also added that some of us couldn't afford developing polishing technique onto a LIVE part - how to fix that problem, this and that.... just catching up really.

Long story short, he introduced me to a company that specialized in composite hardening. Needless to add that I've called on them immediately after hanging up with him. Surprisingly, these guys specialize in clear acrylic & polycarbonate coatings for automotive parts and they have kindly accepted to take my account. I've already put two WD SkyBreakers in the express mail this afternoon for them to built a fixture for us (it's a dipping process, lamination is old school apparently). They'll do this over the coming week for us so I will have those back by latest this coming weekend.

They quoted us $18 for the coating process for 1 (one) SkyBreaker panel - regardless of the quantity (NOT cheap). How it works: I send them the pre-etched WDs, they coat them, send them back to me and I laser cut the profile of the Boxster WD shape as the final process. Sounds complicated but it's not.

The coating is extremely hard. You can rub your stainless steel watch on it and it just won't scratch at all, no more micro scratches, etc, nada - according to them (they mentioned crystal based coating something, I lost half of it). EXCELLENT but here is the catch; if you ever damage your WD (e.g. heavy object falling onto it, making a nasty mark/scratch), it will not be possible to repair using NOVUS or PlastX lol. Forget about #600 grit abrasive paper also... the coating is so hard any repair method simply won't work. Meaning, when coated, it's final - sealed for life.

So here is the deal:

Those who already have supported and purchased a SkyBreaker from me will be given the option to receive a FREE "coated" replacement WD having the same etch as per original order. However, not entirely free loll I will be charging you $20 shipping on the export (PMMA, etch job and hard coating on me).

Others who are waiting for a kit will be given the two following options:

Option 1: Kit with plain acrylic = $155 (requires maintenance, easy repair/polishing)
Option 2: Kit with plain acrylic + hard coating = $175 (no maintenance required, no crazing, chemical friendly, etc! but very hard to repair if not impossible)

Let me know what you guys think, what suits you best, any recommendation, etc

Help me to make this SkyBreaker Wind Deflector product the Best-in-the-World (in its real meaning this time)