View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #32
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
[QUOTE=Bigsmoothlee;432776]I hate to say it, you'll probably never get it out.

QUOTE]

Don't give up yet, you might be on the one yard line! The fastener is in the "U" shaped channel in the lower right hand corner of this picture. Use a strong magnet from outside the block to drag the fastener up the ramp out of the channel. This would be dragging "into" and "up" for this picture. Once dragged up the ramp it's no longer in the channel and you might be able to see it with your endoscope. Pull it towards the center of the engine. If it drops from there you can grab it again through the aluminum with magnets from inside the oil reservoir area, in fact having magnets taped to the area you want the fastener to go might be a good move. Then drag it up to the large hole under the cylinders and into your hand. When you get this bolt out you need a vanity plate that says "986FISH".

One other thing, the gray oval on the casting near the hole for the IMS seal is where the IMS drive chain kissed the block after a complete IMSB failure with a broken bolt. After quite a bit of bolt turning in my garage the engine is in my daily driver and runs like a top. Never give up!