View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #27
gonzojive

Progress report
- I was able to slip a zip tie into the exact area where the set screw is. A coat hanger is either too large in diameter or too rigid (I think the former).

- I confirmed the screw is in that area by moving it around with a magnet outside the case and taking a video from inside. I tried this before but visibility was poor - vacuuming up most of the oil helped. Note in plain sight in the video is the IMS-crankshaft chain/sprocket. The screw is on the other side of it - I'm wiggling it around through the case with a magnet, and you can see the oil slosh around as a result.

- I tried moving the screw to the area that is visible by the camera, but it doesn't seem to go over there. Hypothesis is there isn't enough clearance beneath the IMS-crankshaft chain.

- Thus I have begun a project of trying to create enough clearance to move the screw to the area accessible by tools (seen in camera). First attempt was to tighten down the IMS-crankshaft tensioner and hope this would lift the IMS enough to scoot screw under. Tried once and failed.

- Another idea is to move the IMS up by sticking a pole into the hollow shaft and lifting up the pole. I've heard it's not to difficult to maneuver the IMS around like this. At present my LN engineering bearing is installed, including the center stud, making it impossible to fit a pole inside. I don't want to mess up the bearing by knocking out the support stud. Bad idea to knock the stud back into the IMS shaft and later reattach it to an already installed bearing? Other ideas of prying the IMS up?

Thanks to all.

Last edited by gonzojive; 01-21-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: attach endoscope movie
gonzojive is offline   Reply With Quote