View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
luci5r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
luci5r....
Changing to a 18" or 19" wheel / tyre combo is not always an upgrade.
Driving on the street with your current size wheels with a set of good quality tyres will be more than adequate over larger wheels with low(er) profile tyres. Eye candy is a different proposition though....
Tyre choice can be confusing but if you want the best go with Michelin Pilots or Continental Conti Sports - they are more expensive initially but their lifespan, grip and quiet running are better than most for us mere mortals - plus going to a 18" setup is much more expensive for little or no gain for the type of driving (basic city) you are proposing.
Thanks to both of you for responding.

Your responses definitely clears up some of my questions. I don't believe I would move into the 19" wheels, but I'm still contemplating about the 18", and perhaps eye candy is the reason.

In terms of tires, I do agree, Michelin Pilots or Continental Conti Sports is what I will most likely stick with.

For wheels, I've been looking at carid, suncoastporsche and a few other places. Not sure if there's other good options.

I might just stick with my 17".

A few weeks ago I was at a grocery store where I saw boxster S parked in the lot, quite loaded, and I absolutely loved the rims it had. I really wish I had snapped a picture cause I cannot find them. The only thing I distinctly remember is the center with the Porsche Crest, instead of being indented (settled in), it was the opposite, it was extending out, almost like popping out, on a circular base with a gear-spokes like look. I really wish I could find those wheels.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. I think pricing will determine whether bother getting 18" / 19" or stick with my 17".

Thanks.
luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote