View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Perfectlap

I drove the 05S went it first came out 10 years ago. Man time flies! I remember thinking this car just looks faster already. From a base 986 or 97-99 2.5, it definitely felt much faster off braking and out slow corners. Otherwise, just a bit more plush and insulated (less feedback) as is typical Porsche "progression". From a 3.2 I didn't feel that there was enough of a power bump to justify spending another $35K. And I was not a fan of the Audi/VW'esque revision of the interior which came with a more plasticky leather than the old school leather used in the 986 now brought back in the 981. The 986/996 interior has a minimalist motif that unfortunately wasn't always well executed because so much of the upgraded trim that should have been standard in Porsche was made optional. And no dip stick!!

According to the engine experts who post on here, the 987 engines (pre-2009) are just glorified 2000 -2004 986 engines. I think that's a direct quote if memory serves. The really big change came in 2009 with 9A1 motor. And of course, you can't service the IMS for most of these if you intend to own the car long-term without splitting open the engine. The convenience of easy out IMS servicing (all bearings have to be replaced at some interval) was eliminated with the revised IMS bearing which to its credit has rarely failed but that's sort of the whole point.

~$20k for 30K mile car is a good deal indeed. The 2009+ Boxster S's are still starting in low $30K's, lower mileage ones in the high $30K's.
once those come down into the high $20K's they'll be the best deal going. This 987S might tie you over pretty well until then.
I always say lean towards less mileage than necessarily the most recent year.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-07-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote