View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
socratic

Upgrade 01 2.7L to 03 S? What do you guys think?

So I've had my 01 2.7L for a bit over a year. Love the little guy. I drive it whenever I can so long as it isn't raining (for rainy days I drive my SUV).

The 01 2.7L is fine. It was my first experience in a Boxster and I don't regret buying just the 2.7 (versus the S) back a year ago. But after driving it for a year and a bit, I think I just need a refresh that maybe an 03 S would provide.

The biggest benefit to upgrading to an 03 S would be more power and a glass rear window. I actually prefer the 986 styling versus 987 so it's not about having the latest and greatest. I'm thinking that there should be some 03 cars coming off of leases now since they're 3 years old. Possibly with the ability to pick one up with the a Porsche extended warranty (is this right, not sure about that, can it be added after purchase?)

With my 2.7L, I'm facing some maintenance items coming up as I've hit 43,000 miles. Things like shocks, likely a new clutch soon, and possibly an RMS seal (to be done at the same time as the clutch).

So Option 1 is to put $12,000 to $17,000 (not sure how much) into upgrading to a low-mileage 03 S and have the 3.2L engine, the excellent Brembo brakes and drilled rotors, glass window and the cachet of having an S.

Option 2, I could spend about the same as the upgrade and put in a supercharger ($8000 but then as fast as a 996/997), replace the shocks and springs ($2500 - just a guess for Bilstein shocks and H&R springs, but then better than new handling), clutch and RMS ($1700?), 18-inch tires and wheels ($2000, but very nice looking), replace the top with a GAHH (when the plastic window breaks - $1600?) So about $16,000 and I'd have a WICKED car.

I don't track the car and don't drive like an idiot but do drive spiritedly.

Of course, there is option 3: enjoy the 01 2.7L as is, do the minimum maintenace and repairs as required (say about $4000 worth for the forseeable future for clutch/RMS/GAHH top) and keep about $8000 to $13,000 in the bank!

What do you guys think?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote