View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #162
Nine8Six

A quick update on the "Skybreaker" wind deflector.

I have to admit that I am very surprised nobody flamed me for using that silly product name (yet anyway!). It's like calling your newly established budget Airline company "CloudCrasher". What if the skybreaker break... or what if it that new airline crashes... nah? whatever.... lol

Made a mistake to light ON the prototype (HUD) during our last weekend's Porsche car outing (yes, I had it lit up on my Boxster lol). A curious friend uploaded a few pics of that funny "ironman-style" HUD on the local pcar forum here and I got PM'ed with requests minutes after. How funny. Long story short, I have to plan making 10 additional kits for the guys owning 986s here lol Some facts and figures: there are about twenty-one (21) 986s in China only (that our little community knows of anyway).

Here goes a few shots of the electronic. That PWM box design and assembly is final and being wrapped up this week - nice little kit in all, I have to tell myself lol. Robust!

^ Here is a grab of what the internals looks like. Following recommendations, I've included a micro Molex connector between the controller and the wind deflector. That way if you want to remove your deflector (e.g. for cleaning) then the only thing you need to disconnect is that little micro connector (idea from member rfuerst911sc). The other end, the red + black wires goes to car's 12V. Most likely I'll be using the ashtray's light 12v but also looking at a dash option. Still unsettled on where to tap the 12v lol.... too many places I guess

^ The LED strip and the molex micro connector. The molex conn is 4mm wide X2mm thick. Shouldn't be hard to hide! I've soldered and secured the connection at both end, added a drop of industrial epoxy and wrapped it as far as possible with a quality heat shrinkable tube to prevent any lose up due to vibrations. Feels tight, solid. Works for me.

^ Adding to the inventory of parts required to put this deflector :/ How miniature. This is laser-cut from 1mm thick silicon rubber. Goes where the wires mates on the controller. Prevents damage to the wires when kinked or bent. Act as a shock absorber lolll Seriously, without it and with time, the wires would get damaged by the sharp edge of the aluminum-made controller box. So that's sorted.

^ Two leads of 3meter long each will be provided with the kit. Sufficient cabling for both ways e.g. whether you want to locate your controller behind the driver seat, or in the dash, there should be plenty of wires to play with there. The cabling is 26AWG gauge.... plenty to carry the small 90mA that the LED requires to fire up. Cable size is OD 3MM so again, easy to snake anywhere and hide (small is better, sometimes!).

^ So that's what going on inside the controller box. I use some pretty wicked epoxy and have been since 10 years. I use the same stuff to secure the wires inside that controller. Everything that contact this epoxy is clean using acetone before... or in other words, locked for life. I also use epoxy to secure the contact screws and the board's mounting points. Nothing moves there and again, to prevent any vibrations from losing up things.

^ This box is not serviceable (sealed). Not shown in the picture is a back cover made out of 2mm thick cast acrylic. It is opaque and mate black finish. This will also be epoxy onto the back of the controller box. Can't be opened once sealed. This is prevent the nine8six $7,238 worth high tech from being spied onto.... what if this falls into the wrong hands LOL

^ Shot of those nasty-to-make PWM controller boxes, the 25 boards, some cabling I've prep already, what else... not much really. Needs assembly, any volunteers?!

From the look of things as they are now, all it needs is kit assembly + Porsche Boxster Installation!!! I'll try to document what I'll do inside the car and snap pics of what-goes-where. Those pics above simply serves as spy-pics more than anything else. I'll be showing the real & completed kit shortly.

I'll get done this week, hit the dwtown roads and go for a quick photo shoot