Thread: 2004 550 fs
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
BIGJake111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
That being said, I'm not a fan of these limited production "special edition" Boxsters and Carreras that come with basically the same old engines found in all the other mass produced cars but arrive with outlandish price tags in some cases.
I see these special editions like the 550, the 40th and 50th anniversary 911's as a marketing product intended to drive up the price of car without really providing you substantial performance increase. Ditto for all these "black edition" cars.

The last model year of the body style, they didn't always do it, but starting around the time of the 550 986 there has always been a last model year special edition. Not sure of the real numbers but isn't a fair portion of all the 04 986s a 550, at least 1/5? But yes they keep this tradition to today with the black edition 987 cars, and the 911 sport classic. The cayanne had a titanium edition last year before the restyle.

I personally see it as a decent strategy though, it provides something a little bit different to buy once a model has gotten fairly stale. This goes alongside porsches strategy of staggering the release for types of the 911. First we got the 991, then we got the c4, then the gt3, then the turbo, then the targa, and now the GTS. Some executives lease just ended on his 2012 c2. Time to get a targa! A new car but not a new car. This allows for porsche to hold onto the same body styles for upwards of 6 years, while companies like Honda refresh every 2 and redesign every 4.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote