Thread: 2004 550 fs
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Perfectlap

It's a beautiful car. I remember being in the showroom of the biggest dealer in the state when it first arrived. Nothing cheap looking about the interior despite all the knocks you hear about the 986 interior. If only every Boxster rolled off the assembly line that well-appointed.

That being said, I'm not a fan of these limited production "special edition" Boxsters and Carreras that come with basically the same old engines found in all the other mass produced cars but arrive with outlandish price tags in some cases.
I see these special editions like the 550, the 40th and 50th anniversary 911's as a marketing product intended to drive up the price of car without really providing you substantial performance increase. Ditto for all these "black edition" cars.
At the end of the day a Porsche derives it's value from it's engine. The shell is just a shell. It's why an RS 4.0 911 commands a very steep $300+K price tag while a mass produced 997.1 commands ~$30K. Maybe more if you put a very expensive suspension on that 997.1 but still a car that's lost more than half it's value unlike the RS 4.0 which has barely budged. In my mind 'special edition' in Porsches means special engine.

I would pay somehwat more for a 550 because it has great options and possibly low miles but not because only x amount were made xyz options.
Now if the factory had somehow managed to wedge a dry sump 3.6 in there and made it Boxster Spyder light... different story.
However if you do find a low mileage 550 at competitive price relative to a similar mileage 986 S then it's a no brainer. But Tomonomics, this Ebay car pushing nearly 60K miles for $22K doesn't seem like a great deal to me. That car is going to sit a while.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote