View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
nsosdian

Successful Repair Completed!

In case anyone else experiences a similar issue, I can report a very simple and inexpensive repair that has gotten my car back on the road again.

Lowest quote I got to replace cables was nearly $900 parts and labor, and best I could do myself was $407 ordering cables from Pelican and installing myself. I almost pulled the trigger on that, but went one more time to stare at the cable......

Turns out that when I pushed the brass piece all the way back into place there was at least 1/2 inch of inner cable sheath exposed at the end, just enough to clamp something on to prevent the brass piece from falling out again. I went to Ace Hardware, bought the smallest hose clamp I could find (the type with a worm gear to tighten the slotted band), put that on the sheath between the brass fitting and the end of the cable and tightened snug (but not tight enough to bind up the steel cable within the sheath).

Happy to report she shifts like new. Only 60 miles so far but no problems. Cost $1.50 plus my time. Probably wouldn't recommend for the track, but seems like a reasonable, "no harm done" compromise for my situation.
nsosdian is offline   Reply With Quote