View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
ryanneeley

I didn't think to check the voltage before it went to the shop, kicking myself for that now. My first guess was the ECU, and I was surprised when my mechanic said alternator. What does worry me is that if the alternator was putting out enough power to run things like heated seats (I tried turning them off while it was going crazy), it should have enough output to run the computer.

While I didn't take out the seats or anything, I did check the interior for any signs of leaks and the floors were dry.

Hopefully I will find out more in the morning, if they can find a way to get into the convertible hatch... I will post as soon as I hear something.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Im not sure how the alternator or AC Generator on the Boxster is much different than any other late model car. Before you do anything (except check for water under the seat on the ECU) with the car running get a VOM and check the voltage across the battery....if it is 13.8 to 14.4 volts or so your alternator is most likely working properly. This will only take a few minutes to do. If you do not have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) go buy one at Walmart, Lowes, Home depot or even Harbor Freight.....every car/home owner needs a VOM and know it's most basic functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3OyQ3HwfU
ryanneeley is offline   Reply With Quote