View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #31
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Looks like you're having a lot of fun with SolidWorks, Fred.
Did you consider of doing a thermal simulation?
Haha yes, better enjoying SW because HQ is making it redundant by 2015 :/ We're moving to AutoCAD Inventor seats (only) both at the R&D and manufacturing ends. No more him on SW, her on AutoCAD, them on Catia, etc.... e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y will need to cope with Autodesk by mid 2015. Go figure....

RE Simulation. I have the SW Simulation module running on my workstation however the Flow Simulation is not (needed for air cooling type sims). I do my own simulations however but mainly to gauge designs/shapes/parts vs their types of materials (e.g. fatigue, stress, etc). A thermal analysis coming from me would be totally redundant in this LED application. All I could do is highlight how heat is transferred from one end to another. Plain thermal loads, convections and/or radiation per material in both transient and steady states. Boring and rather useless... without air. Given aluminum dissipate heat 2,000x faster than any other composites (e.g. plastics)... we can call it a safe $3 worth of LED strip investment (I think!)

Beside, try asking a Chinese manufacturer what are the "convection coefficient" values in BTU of their super High Tech LED strips. Luck with that mate....lol