View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I thought about that. The process for opening the headlight:

How to open sealed headlights, Porsche 996 986 - YouTube

appears to be a little risky. Too much force at the wrong time might result in a broken cover.
Kevin - huge thanks to fella member Charles (Particlewave) for putting up this Youtube vid for us.

RE the broken cover comment. Believe me, those headlights are bullet proof. You have to ask yourself... highways & highways & highways and they still look good after 10~15 years. That polycarbonate material Porsche is using is something I've never seen before (I think you guys in the states also make jet fighter canopy out of that same stuff).

Pry mate, you can bend them, twist them, throw them in the wall as hard as you want and they'll live another life I promise. Until today I've never heard of anyone braking a lens. The lip under is what you need to take care of... it may crack or bend a little but who cares... it won't interfere with remounting the lens perfectly back on the headlight housing - it will hide itself in the silicon you'll use to re-seal the thing.

Hope this was inspirational! Best of luck with the rest, you appear to be on the good track mate