View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #187
mikefocke

Lion, there are three generations of bearing designs and the housing they run in.

Since I suspect you might be across the pond, I'm not sure what distributors sell in Portugal nor what dealers will install nor what independent Porsche expert mechanics there are available.

Now if you are in the US (as in OH maybe) LN would have a list of approved installers on their web site. Marengo up near Youngstown seems to be the nearest and they have someone who has been trained.

LN markets different kits for different prices for different bearing generations.

Assuming yours is an original engine and not a later replacement, you have the best of the three designs and your bearing is absolutely replaceable if that is so. There is no way to be absolutely sure what bearing design is there without removing the transmission and looking at the parts that hold the bearing to the block as replacement engines could have any of the three designs.

LN is the most often installed bearing replacement kit.

In the US, Porsche itself doesn't offer any replacements for the bearing. And your dealer may well have exhibited just how little he knows about the bearings so I'm not at all sure I'd trust them with an install even if they would do it.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote