View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Low Coolant Light Blinking - A Few Questions

Hi Everyone,

Last night, I noticed my coolant light slowly blinking. I pulled over and checked the manual, it looks like that light indicates a low coolant level. My 986 was not running hot at all, and was right around the 180 mark.

After discovering the coolant was in fact low, I headed for the closest store to buy some distilled water. On the way the light stopped blinking. I added about a quart of distilled water anyway to get it back within the minimum/maximum level when cold. (I realize the level fluctuates while the engine is hot.)

A quart when the car takes about 6 gallons of a 50/50 water/coolant mix isn't much, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:

-Will throwing the 50/50 mix off cause any issues?

-What could have caused the coolant level to deplete? I have not noticed any leaks near the tank, in the trunk, or under the car. No white crystals anywhere.

-Is there anything I should check, or have checked?

-Should I do a coolant flush? The water pump is fairly new, and the last coolant flush was earlier this year.

-In the future, is there anything I can do to avoid an air bubble in the coolant tank if I do have to top it off again? I think I avoided that issue this time, but I know it can be an issue.

Thanks!